Saturday, August 15, 2020

Mango Black Bean Salad Recipe + How to Cut a Mango

Mango Black Bean Salad
This is a post about how to cut things and how not to cut things. Oh, and it’s also about a Mango Black Bean Salad recipe. But let’s talk about how to cut things first.

How to Cut a Mango

Mangoes, in case you didn’t know, are really fun to cut. (This differentiates them from every other fruit, because other fruits are not fun to cut.) After cutting the fruit off the pit, you slice both sides of the mango lengthwise and crosswise, cutting down to the skin of the fruit but not through it. Once you’ve done this, take the mango in both hands (skin side down) and press upwards with your thumbs to turn it inside out. (This is the best part! So relish it! Take a picture!) Then use your knife to scrape the fruit from the skin and chop into smaller pieces if necessary.

How to Cut a MangoHow to Cut a Jalapeño

So that’s how to cut a mango. Now let’s talk about how not to cut a jalapeño. Lately I’ve been noticing that jalapeños are hotter than usual and I’ve even burned my fingers a little bit while chopping them. Yes, you’re supposed to wear gloves to chop any hot pepper, but jalapeños are weak! I’ve never used gloves when chopping them. Because I’m a genius, I decided I didn’t need gloves when making this recipe, despite the minor burns I got the last few times.

OH HOLY HECK! I burned my fingers so badly. Searing pain. Searing! Not only were they burned, but they were swollen and red too. Capsaicin is serious stuff, guys. I’ve burned myself with actual fire and it didn’t hurt as much. After a little Googling, I attempted to relieve the pain by:

  • Washing my hand with soap.
  • Soaking my hand in ice water.
  • Slathering my fingers in aloe gel.
  • Rolling my fingers in sugar.
  • Dipping my fingers in vegetable oil.
  • Squeezing a lime over my hand.
  • Coating my fingers in ricotta cheese.
  • Sticking my fingers in my husband’s Ben & Jerry’s Blueberry Vanilla Graham Greek Frozen Yogurt (husband was not happy about this).
  • Screaming and stomping my feet like a toddler throwing a tantrum while holding my hand under hot hot water.

Mango Black Bean Salad [Top]
It was the last one that finally worked. So make a mental note of this: if you ever get capsaicin burns on your hands, put them in scalding hot water. And know that it will be the worst pain you’ve ever felt. But then! Sweet, sweet relief. The hot water will open up your pores, expelling the oil from the peppers.

About the Recipe

After cutting the mango (fun!) and cutting the jalapeño (pain!), I assembled this salad. The first time I made it, I threw it together with leftover toppings from my Spicy Mango Pizza. It was so good that I decided it needed a post of its own. (But next time I make it, I’m wearing gloves.)

Print

Mango Black Bean Salad

Mango Black Bean Salad Recipe

This easy Mango Black Bean Salad is great as a side dish or light lunch.

  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Total Time: 10 minutes
  • Yield: 4

Ingredients

  • 1 (15 oz) can black beans, thoroughly rinsed
  • 1 mango, diced
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
  • 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise & thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • juice from 1 lime
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

  1. Stir together all ingredients in a large bowl. (Really, that’s it!)

This post was originally published on 2 August 2012.

About

Kiersten is the founder and editor of Oh My Veggies.



from
http://easyveganrecipes.info/mango-black-bean-salad-recipe-how-to-cut-a-mango/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=mango-black-bean-salad-recipe-how-to-cut-a-mango

No comments:

Post a Comment