Monday, May 4, 2020

Recipe | Sweet & Spicy Mango Fajitas + Homemade Fajita Seasoning Mix

Sweet & Spicy Mango Fajitas
Champagne mangoes are heeeere! I knew they’d be in season again soon, so I’ve been stalking Whole Foods waiting for the glorious day when there’s a huge crate of them front and center in the produce section. Every week, I’ve been disappointed. And last week, I was prepared to be disappointed again when I didn’t see that big huge crate, but I managed to find the champagne mangoes in a small crate at the back of the produce section.

Champagne Mangoes
Then I did a little dance. And for once it wasn’t because of the peppy instrumental version of “Big Country” playing over the PA system. No, it was because I finally had my precious champagne mangoes and I could make my Sweet & Spicy Mango Fajitas.

I keep a huge running list of recipe ideas on my computer and mango fajitas has been on there for at least a year now. Oh sure, I could have made them with regular mangoes, but I wanted to wait for the champagne mangoes because: a) they’re cheaper than regular mangoes when they’re in season, b) they’re tastier than regular mangoes, and c) I have never bought a bad champagne mango, but it seems like every other regular mango I buy is brown in the middle.

Homemade Fajita Seasoning Mix
In addition to the mangoes, I added red bell pepper, zucchini, red onion, and jalapeño for a little kick; I seasoned them with a homemade fajita seasoning mix I’ve been using for about a year now. Although those pre-made seasoning packets are handy, they’re also expensive for what you’re getting and full of unnecessary ingredients like corn syrup, corn starch (I don’t think this is needed when you’re making veggie fajitas, so I leave it out), and artificial colors. I’m including my fajita seasoning recipe here; it makes more than you’ll need for these fajitas, but you can put it in a bag or container and keep it for several months—it’s good for any veggie fajita recipe, not just this one!

Sweet & Spicy Mango Fajitas
I had really high expectations for this recipe. Sometimes I’m not sure how a dish will turn out, but I just knew this one would be delicious. Because: mangoes! Luckily, it did not disappoint. And then I did another little dance: the tasty fajita dance.*

*Which is basically the robot because that’s the only dance I know how to do.

Sweet & Spicy Mango Fajitas

Sweet & Spicy Mango Fajitas

These Sweet & Spicy Mango Fajitas make a quick Meatless Monday dinner. Serve with cilantro, lime wedges, queso fresco and your other favorite fajita toppings.

Ingredients

  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. fajita seasoning mix
  • 1 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
  • 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
  • 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
  • 2 mangoes, peeled and cubed (use champagne mangoes if you can find them)
  • about 8 medium tortillas, warmed
  • coarsely chopped cilantro, lime wedges, crumbled queso fresco and salsa for serving

Instructions

  1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add fajita seasoning and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add red pepper, zucchini, and jalapeño; cook about 5 minutes more, or until veggies are just starting to brown. Stir in mangoes. Serve on tortillas with cilantro, lime wedges, queso fresco and salsa.

4.29

https://ohmyveggies.com/recipe-sweet-spicy-mango-fajitas-homemade-fajita-seasoning-mix/

Homemade Fajita Seasoning Mix

Homemade Fajita Seasoning Mix

There’s no need to buy packets of fajita seasoning at the grocery store when you can make your own! Adapted from Food.com’s Fajita Seasoning Mix.

Ingredients

  • 2 tbsp. chili powder
  • 1 tbsp. salt
  • 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
  • 1 tbsp. sugar
  • 2 1/2 tsp. crushed vegetable bouillon cube
  • 1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

Instructions

  1. Combine all ingredients in small bowl. Store in zip-top bag, jar, or resealable container.

4.29

https://ohmyveggies.com/recipe-sweet-spicy-mango-fajitas-homemade-fajita-seasoning-mix/

About

Kiersten is the founder and editor of Oh My Veggies.



from
http://easyveganrecipes.info/recipe-sweet-spicy-mango-fajitas-homemade-fajita-seasoning-mix/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=recipe-sweet-spicy-mango-fajitas-homemade-fajita-seasoning-mix

No comments:

Post a Comment