Saturday, February 15, 2020

Recipe | Coconut-Lime Tofu Soup

Coconut Lime Tofu Soup Recipe

Coconut Lime Tofu Soup
In case you were wondering, I’m still doing Weight Watchers (and I’ve lost 10 pounds—yay me!). It just feels weird to write about it all the time here. Anyway! I typically find it easy to stick to the plan for breakfast and dinner, and I’m not much of a snacker, so that’s not a problem either. But lunch has been difficult. I don’t like frozen foods and I’m not a big salad eater. I did sandwiches for a while, but I burnt out on those. I like some canned soups, but I’m trying to avoid them because of the whole BPA thing. When lunchtime rolls around, it’s usually, “Oh, what I’m going to eat? I guess I’ll have some potato chips and a tangerine.” So I’m not so much over-eating when it comes to lunch—it’s mostly just that I’m eating odd things. Things that don’t really constitute a meal.

Not having time to whip up something from scratch on a daily basis, I’ve found that a good solution has been to make a big batch of soup on Sundays to eat during the work week. Soup is easy to heat up and I can have it with some fruit and one of my No-Bake Molasses Bites and it’s a filling (normal! non-potato chip!) meal.

After a few weeks of various lentil soups, I’ve moved onto Asian-inspired ones. Last week, I found a recipe for Coconut-Lime Chicken Noodle Soup in Everyday Food (which apparently is so new, it’s not even up on Martha Stewart’s website yet–sorry, no link!) and I decided to adapt it to my tastes and diet to make Coconut-Lime Tofu Soup. I took out the chicken and noodles and added tofu and mushrooms instead. As I squeezed the lime juice into the pot, I was worried that the soup would be too lime-y for me, but it worked—it reminds me of the coconut soup that comes with the lunch special at our local Thai restaurant.

Print

Coconut-Lime Tofu Soup

Coconut Lime Tofu Soup [Top]

An Asian-inspired vegetarian soup with a coconut-lime broth, fresh mushrooms, and cubes of tofu. Adapted from Everyday Food’s Coconut-Lime Chicken Noodle Soup.

  • Prep Time: 30 minutes
  • Cook Time: 15 minutes
  • Total Time: 45 minutes
  • Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

  • 3 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch rounds
  • 1 (13.5 oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1 (14 oz) package extra firm tofu, drained, pressed at least 30 minutes (you can use a tofu press), and cubed
  • 8 oz button mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 6 tbsp fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
  • 2 tsp light brown sugar
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced, seeds removed
  • 3/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves

Instructions

  1. Combine broth and ginger in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
  2. Add coconut milk to broth; return to a simmer. Stir in tofu and mushrooms; cook 3 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender. Add lime juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, jalapeno, and 1/2 cup of cilantro leaves to pot; cook 1 minute more.
  3. Garnish bowls with remaining cilantro.

You Might Also Like



from
http://easyveganrecipes.info/recipe-coconut-lime-tofu-soup/

No comments:

Post a Comment